You like to laugh. Who doesn’t? It is a good thing you live in or near Louisville then! Louisville has always been home to many legendary Stand Up Comedians like Tim Wilson and others. There are a ton of stand up shows and open mics happening all over the city. There are even other forms of comedy, like improv comedy happening as well. Did you know that there are 7 improv comedy troupes in town? From what we hear that number is even growing. If you like sketch comedy there are even troupes that do that! Louisville is rich in the comedy scene and we have our Top 5 list of places to see all the comedy you will ever need!
- Comedy Caravan, located at The Mid-City Mall on Bardstown Rd. Comedy Caravan hosts Louisville’s stop on the nationwide stand up comedy circuit. The best comics in the biz come through Louisville every week to give you a few laughs. Comedy Caravan is home to many fantastic local stand up comics. They host shows with local comics performing, shows like The List on Thursday nights at 10pm and the Late, Late Breakfast show on Sundays at 5:30pm (which is free by the way). The Caravan has an open bar and some hot foods. For more info visit www.ComedyCaravan.com.
- Groucho’s Bar. Groucho’s is a fantastic watering hole located at 935 Goss Ave and hosts a few great comedy things as well as some of the best karaoke in town! In terms of stand up however, they host three great events. The first is Comedy Attack! Held every other Sunday at 9pm. Great comics and great comedy. Then they host Theme Time Comedy Hour every Wednesday with a different theme each time. Finally on the first Thursday of every month they host an Open Mic for anyone to try their hand at stand up. Heck! That person could be you! For more info on Groucho’s, visit their Facebook page at www.facebook.com/pages/Grouchos-Bar-Karaoke/134472743270100.
- The Historic Rudyard Kipling, a Louisville institution since 1984. The Rud has great food and drinks as well as a very diverse schedule of music, theater, and comedy. Located on 422 W. Oak St in historic Old Louisville, the Rud is hosting a brand new show to showcase local Louisville stand up comedy, Comedy Jam takes place on Wednesday nights and is sure to draw a crowd. For more info on the Rudyard Kipling visit www.therudyardkipling.com.
- A new store has opened recently in St. Matthews and sell comic books and all things nerdy! From Doctor Who to Star Trek to Superman, the Destination Comics and Collectibles, also host what they call “Nerd Comedy Shows”. These show take place at various times during each month but they are shows with stand up comedians and even improv comedy troupes performing comedy based off of Nerdy Pop Culture. Here quips about the different Star Trek Captains or see an improv scene about Batman getting a chest cold! If you love Sci-Fi and Comic Books and Comedians then these shows are for you! Like their Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/destinationcomics for updates on the shows hosted there and make sure to check out their store located at 5031 Shelbyville Rd (Behind Dee’s) for all your nerdy shopping!
- The Bard’s Town is a Shakespearean themed theater pub and restaurant with a theater and lounge for music, plays, improv comedy, sketch comedy shows, stand up comedy, and much more. Located on 1801 Bardstown Rd, The Bard’s Town hosts some very signature shows every single month. For example you can see their monthly comedy Roasts where a group of comedians dress up and imitate characters that would roast other famous characters, like Batman, Santa Claus, William Shakespeare, and many more. If improv is your thing then we recommend you check out Louisville’s hottest improv troupe, Damaged Goods Improv. These guys have been wowing Louisville and regional audiences for 4 years and are a treat to see. High energy hilarious improv a la Whose Line Is It Anyway? For more info on them visit www.damgoodnation.com. Also, if you like sketch comedy you’ll love groups like Derby City Dating Scene or The Bard’s Town’s newest sketch review, Star Wars in 60 Minutes or Less. A sketch comedy review of the Star Wars movies that is both hilarious and ridiculous. For more info on them visit http://www.facebook.com/sw60min. They perform there pretty often. So between the 7 improv troupes that perform here monthly, the sketch shows, and even the stand up shows and specials, The Bard’s Town is probably the hottest spot in Louisville. Their menu offers a variety of different and delicious Shakespeare themed dishes and great drinks. Visit them at www.thebardtown.com for a look at their calendar and for more info.
Tell us what you like about these places and if you have any other suggestions, let us know so when we revisit this topic in the future we can include them as well.
For more information contact your Eco-Broker below.
Rick Hogue REALTOR, CDPE, Eco-Broker
The Hogue Group a part of Keller Williams Realty Louisville East
A Place to Hang Your Hat and Call Home
Find All Homes in Louisville
List your home with the Hogue Group and have it show up on Realtor.com, Zillow.com, and Trulia.com within 24 hours.